Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Family History Goal

One of my goals this year was to find out more about my ancestors and gather personal histories.I knew their were journals and published books which have my ancestors in so I began to actively search for them.I found a book called "Beloved Ancestors" which is about the Gordon, Nelson, Smith and Orgill families. I purchased the book and have enjoyed many hours reading about my family. I am in the book as the reader of my grandmother Bessie Orgill Gordon's life story at her funeral. I was 14 and had lost the copy of her history which I had read. I was so excited. The book is filled with many personal histories. I also found a book called "How Beautiful Upon the Mountains". It features my same ancestors above as they helped to settle the Wasatch area in Utah. My grandmother and many of her sisters and brothers are pictured with their school class in the book.

I also took my dad to Richmond, Virginia and we looked in the library for records of the Gordon family. We found many and confirmed much of the data we have but I was not able to find my Robert Gordon born there. We also found Gordonsville Virginia and went there to visit. We had a great time.

My dad has promised to record some of the stories he shared with me as we traveled. I know he probably won't even though he thinks he would. I just wish I had had a way to record as he talked while we traveled. Actually he shares much with me everytime I talk to him on the phone. I would like to record some of those conversations also.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for stopping my blog. You are lucky to have found those books where your family is mentioned. They have these little micro cassette and/or digital recorders you can buy and record on. My kids used them in college to record the lectures of the teachers.

    ReplyDelete